The Gonzalez Family Herald

Headlines and commentary from a Northern California family of seven.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

11 Years. 11 Long, Wonderful Years.

A lot can happen in a short time. But even more can happen in a long time.

Take , for example, the span of 11 years. On June 3, 1995, my wife and I got married. We decided to R-U-N-N-O-F-T and git maired. Seriously. We decided on Wednesday, May 31, 1995 that we were going to Reno that Saturday to get married.

It was not a spur of the moment decision. After all, we had been engaged since Christmas of 1994. We knew we were going to get married but we had really never thought of when we would get married. We also wanted to be married before we moved in together. It just made sense to us.

So, sitting at a McDonald's across the street from an apartment complex, we decided that to do things right, we should get married and look for an apartment. Doing things the way I usually do, I went backwards and looked for apartments. And as we sat at the McDonald's, tired from two weeks of apartment searching and sipping milkshakes, I looked over my beautiful fiancee's shoulder and saw a sign for an apartment for rent. How could I pass it up?

We went to what we, er I, thought was that apartment complex. It wasn't. But we did stumble on a nice place, so we applied for an apartment, got accepted, placed a deposit and made plans to get to Reno that Saturday so on Sunday we could move in. And so we did, 11 years ago.

So what can happen in 11 years?
Let's see....
  • 1 Marriage
  • 5 Kids
  • 6 Cars
  • 3 Living Establishments
  • 4 Jobs
  • 2 Businesses
  • Numerous sleepless nights
  • A few marital 'debates'
  • Endless friendships

There is so much more to add to this. But there are so many more things yet to experience that I want to leave room on my list for those. But I will say that after 11 years, I love my wife more today than any other day in the past. And I love my family to the point that I am dumbfounded spontaneously when I see them in the right light.

11 years is a long time, but compared to the length of time I plan on being married, it seems like a mere blink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home