The Gonzalez Family Herald

Headlines and commentary from a Northern California family of seven.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Hibicus Flobicus, a Porcufunny and a Carrot

What?!?!?!?!?

Simmuh' dawn nah. A couple of weeks ago my kids were given an assignment by the best teacher in the world (their mom) that involved creating something out of clay and giving it a name. This exercised the same instructions God gave to Adam when animals were created and "Adam named the animals".

I am certain Adam was of superior intelligence seeing as I have had a tough time naming five children, let alone hundreds of thousands of animals. However, when a 9 year old, 8 year old and 5 year old are tasked with this challenge, this is what we get...

Welcome to the world Hibicus Flobicus, hope you like your new digs. Creativity in a child is so cool. 9 years old and already creating postmodern, Andy Warhol looking clay creations. Oh the joy... Salvador Dali would be so proud. I know dad is.

Not to be outdone, we also have a Porcufunny, created and named by our ever-creative 5 year old...


This one is cute. I know the clarity in the pictures is a bit shaky (which is why I am posting only two of the creation exercise photos - the other photos of this exercise are a little blurry) but I think you can see the wonderful symmetry shown in this creation - not unlike the symmetry shown by our Creator every time we look in the mirror.

Since I couldn't get the other pictures up here, I thought I would show off still more creativity demonstrated by our 8 year old. Take a look at this little wonder...


I know it is clay, but the details that my daughter thought to include in this was amazing. The leaves have their veins, the carrot has its grooves. The symmetry is nice (there's that word again) and even the colors are right on. Does mom know how to teach some kid folk or what? Whoooo daddy, da' woman good at what she do.

Anyhow, enough for now. I will share more later. I was thinking about sharing some of the root word studies we are doing in school right now. Or some of the math technique we are learning in case you want some cool technique that is not taught in public schools. We'll see, I am not sure that I am going to do with any of that yet.

Until next time, challenge your kids to think and be creative and encourage their learning. Most kids can learn just about anything they are taught when they a) trust the teacher, b) trust the material and c) find the fun in learning the material.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home